I was lucky enough to dedicate this past weekend to sewing and had ambitious plans. While I didn’t get it all accomplished, I made some good progress. Here’s an update.
1. Vogue 8742: I finished the cranberry red version of this dress and I love it! This time I sewed the seams properly, unlike this version which I had to give away. It’s a perfect fit. When making this dress it’s really important to get the ruching even on the front. Here’s how I did it:
1) Be sure to mark the small circles on the front and front side pieces very clearly.
2) Gather the sides evenly as instructed.
3) Pin the side pieces to the front at the small circles.
4) Even out the ruching between each circle.
I’ll post a pic actually wearing it, meanwhile – here she is! I was happy to completely finish this version (that means hemming, hook & eye, all details – ready to wear!).
Honestly, if you have this pattern and have new sewn with it yet, get to it!
I was also able to cut out and mark the pieces for a black ponte version of this dress. I think 2 for now is enough – but I know there is a sleeveless version coming up at some point!
2) Vogue 8921: I’m making this dress for my daughter. She’s coming home from school on Thursday so I have until then to get this together so she can try it on.
I got as far as cutting out and marking the pattern pieces.
Because she’s not home, and I really don’t have any precise measurements, I traced the pattern pieces on to pattern paper. That way, (since I’m making her a size 6) if I need to cut a different size next time (and make it for myself!) – I’ll still be able to use the existing pattern.
3). Butterick 5799: I chose this pattern and outdoor fabric, which I pre-washed, to make view C (the non-quilted tote) for a gift exchange coming up this week. I’m actually making two of these as gifts.
I made some good progress, but I’m not finished yet. It is looking so cute!
I just have to do the inside pockets and lining. I didn’t quite make this as instructed. The pattern calls for sew in hair canvas, which I did not have nor could I find. Instead, I used fusible fleece on the outside fabric pieces. I’m also going to try to make a separate covered cardboard insert for the bottom so it will be removable and then the whole thing can go in the wash if needed.
Beyond pre-washing the fabric (white linen), I did not make any progress on this project yet. I better get on it because I need a set of these for a hostess gift this coming weekend!
By Sunday I needed to take a break so headed to one of our local beaches with my buddy.
Love it there – even on a cold, grey afternoon and I always take a few moments for gratitude.
Hope your weekend was a good one. Here’s to a great week!